- Length: 4 Days/3 Nights
- Lodge :Amazon Refuge Casa Sandoval Lake .
- Type of service: Group .
- Location: Southern Peru, Madre de Dios Department, Puerto Maldonado, Sandoval Lake Reserve .
- Activities: .
- Altitude: 139 – 400 m.a.s.l.
- Best time to visit: From March to December .
- Departure: Check Travel Availability.
- Minimum of participants: 2 .
- Maximum of participants: 10 .
- Price per person: $ 415 :00
Amazon Refuge Casa Sandoval Lake 4 days
DAY 1 PUERTO MALDONADO AIRPORT AND SANDOVAL LAKE RESERVE .
Arrival and reception by guide or transfer at the airport or bus station. Our guides are highly experience professionals with deeply knowledge of the area and rainforest, we provide 1 guide for a group of max 8 people, most of our tours are private as standard. Transfer from the airport to our main office in town. Upon arrival to Pto. Maldonado City, our Transfer or guide will welcome you and drive you for few minutes to our office in town. In our office we recommend you to pack only the necessary stuff you need for your next couple of days, the main luggage can stay at our safe deposit. Transportation it’s easier that way, and keep our boats and porter cargo light, we provide you duffels at the office if necessary, we also provide you rubber boots for muddy trails, and you can select a proper size from our collection Transfer from our office to Tambopata river Port In full company and orientation of our guide we navigate down the Tambopata River for almost 5 minutes until the Madre de Dios River then 30 minutes journey down the river by motor canoe brings you to the entrance trail to Sandoval Lake Box lunch in the boat. We can customize your box lunch with a vegetarian option, we also provide cold bottled drinks in the boat. The trail takes you on a 1.6 miles walk (2.5 kilometers) walk through a successional forest, former Giant natural bamboo forest, habitat for monkeys, sloth and macaws, until we reach a small canal where we board our paddle-canoes, we paddle for 100 meters (nearly the same in yards) through a palm-forest swamp, abundance of “aguajes” (mauritia Palms) those palm provide the most popular fruit of the Peruvian rainforest, highly consume by locals as drinks and ice-creams. Once onto the glass-like surface of the lake, we continue leisurely around the lake to the lodge. A welcome drink and briefing from the lodge’s manager at the reception area of the lodge. Accommodation and a Little rest, at rooms or hummocks
Before dinner depending on arrival time we set off to explore part of the lake, looking for monkeys or black Cayman (black Caymans are the biggest of the Cayman and alligator family, biggest one seen at the lake 6 meters long/20 feet so fur) in the flooded palm forest we can see hundreds of Red-bellied macaws as they return to roost. One the few species of macaws that lives in flocks and mauritia palm swamps such the one at Sandoval Lake. We also have the option of a night walk into the forest behind the lodge.
Dinner at the lodge.
DAY 2 EXPLORING SANDOVAL NATURE GIANT RIVER OTTERS .
An early wake call and meeting at the lodges’ dining room to visit the lake for sunrise and a hopeful encounter with the friendly family of Giant Otters who are highly active at this time of the lake, Giant otters must eat an average of 8 pounds of fish a day (4 kilos) Sandoval lake offers abundant wildlife including: 6 species of monkeys, black Caymans, over 40 species of birds resident to the lakes’ shore, all 5 species of kingfisher of Peru, and the most abundant group of Hoatzin, all the animals here are easy to photograph from the boats. Return to the lodge for breakfast.
By mid morning we set off into the jungle to see Giant trees like the kapok and Brazil nut trees the two biggest trees of the amazon, our guide will show you and demonstrate how we collect open and commercialize this extremely important product to our local economy. We return midday to the lodge.
A Little rest in the bungalows or hummocks. At evening we take our paddle-canoe and explore a different area of the lake in search of the different troops of monkeys, highly active at this time of the day, Brown Capuchin monkey and Squirrel monkey live in the forest near the lake. Before dinner we will again enjoy a nice night walk looking for the spooky tarantulas and snakes. Dinner
DAY 3 AMAZON SANDOVAL – WALK IN THE JUNGLE .
Early wake up to cross the lake by canoe and take a short along the main trail, 1 km down the trail there is a special place where every morning parrots and macaws congregate to eat bark of trees, very rich in minerals, dozens of red bellied macaws and blue and yellow macaws take turn to eat on dead palms or palms they kill themselves. Returning from the parrot’s show we paddle around the lake spotting wildlife and return for breakfast. After breakfast we will cross the lake to explore an impressive floodplain primary forest and admire the impressive Giant trees and lianas, some of them are strong enough to climb and swing.
We return to the lodge for lunch. Siesta time In the cooler afternoon we will once explore the lake in search of the large troops of monkeys, to also experience a spectacular sunset.
Dinner .Optional excursion upon coordination with your guide.
DAY 4 RETURNED TO PUERTO MALDONADO AND AIRPORT OR BUS STATION .
Departure after breakfast.
Included in the Sandoval Lake :
- A professional naturalist Tour Guide;
- Motorboat transportation to sandoval lake;
- Transfer transportation to the airport.
- Rooms with private bathroom 3 Nights in lodges; Sandoval Lake Lodge
- First-aid kit.
- Entrance fee to the Sandoval Lake Reserve;
- Meals: 3 Breakfast, 3 Lunch, 3 Dinner and drinking water (Please note: vegetarian option upon request for no extra cost!);
- Rubber boots for sandoval lake.
Not included in the Sandoval Lake .
- Any flight nor airport departure taxes;.
- Airplane or bus tickets.
- Travel insurance;
- Vaccination for jungle trips;
- Breakfast on the first day and Lunch on the last day;
- Tips to local staff.
What You Need to Bring to the Sandoval Lake .
- Mosquito repellent (DEET 35 recommended as a MINIMUM!!),
- Original passport for sandoval lake lodge peru,
- Small backpack,
- Long sleeved cotton shirts (preferably green coloured),
- Long cotton trousers,
- Cotton long socks (to be put into your trousers),
- Comfortable walking shoes,
- Sandals or light shoes,
- Rain gear (e.g. rain poncho),
- Binoculars (we also rent it),
- Camera and its charger,
- Plastic bags to be used for clothes and a camera,
- A hat as a protection against the Sun or rain,
- Small towel,
- Toilet paper,
- Antibacterial gel,
- Sun cream,
- Flashlight (with spare bulb and batteries),
- A bottled water (1 litre as a minimum),
- Pocket money (Soles) to buy some beverages and souvenirs as well as to tip.